Sunday, August 23, 2009

it never hurts to ask!

Vada and I hit up some garage sales yesterday morning, as we usually do on Saturdays (while my husband sweeps and mops the house - how nice, huh?). At one sale, I saw some old lawn chairs with cushions wrapped in these cool floral pillow cases. I asked the seller if she would just sell me the pillow cases, and she said "Sure! I think I might have the sheets upstairs, want me to check?" I said sure! She came down a few moments later without those sheets (darn!), but with the blue one on the bottom, and 4 matching pillow cases. All are in perfect shape, and it was only $2 for everything! Sweet!!



A different sale had a box full of small (1/2 and 1/4 yd) cuts of novelty fabrics, and of course I couldn't pass it up! Check out all these edibles!



And I love the fortune cookies, and the Hawaiian shirts, and the old fashioned valentines!


There was more, but those were my favorites. I think there were 36 different prints, about 14 yards, for $13. I probably could have paid less, because a teenage boy was doing the selling and he seemed more than happy with my offer. But $1/yard is a fair garage sale price, so it's all good.

And as much as I love it, I'm going to try to cut back on my fabric collecting. Yes, seriously! I can't seem to stop finding the stuff, and I can't resist when I do find it, so the only solution is to shop less. (Shop less - sew more! Use the loot!) It's going to be hard, because I really really love the hunt! But I'm not going cold turkey - my new plan is to only go on Saturday mornings with the poochkins, and that's it. I normally go on Friday mornings too, so this will be a good way to cut back. It makes me sad to think that in a short couple of months, garage sale season will be over anyway... Good thing the thrift stores are open all year 'round. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I am amazed that you are able to find so many garage sales that sell fabric. I haven't seen a single one! Even one that advertised fabric didn't have any. I think I too have to go to more garage sales to increase my odds, but then I will wind up buying too much stuff I really shouldn't be getting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are the most amazing finder of fabric!!! i wish i was shopping with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me wish I lived on your coast -- in fact, in your city. I'd go shopping Fridays and leave Saturdays to you. Those veggie prints were fabulous and the other finds great too. Lucky you. Yes, sew, sew, sew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic sheet find! I am a BIG sucker for vintage sheets! I keep hearing about everyone asking if they can buy sheets being used as table clothes so I asked at the flea market a few weeks ago. The lady told me um NO! Then she went on to tell me she has the whole set at home and doesn't use them? She just likes to use the flat sheet as a table cloth? Well needless to say I won't ask again. Good for you though! :) Great finds all around!

    ReplyDelete