Monday, June 1, 2009

help me choose!

So, I'm doing the Old Red Barn quilt-along, and I've got all these fabrics to work with:



I've got a LOT of that light lavender fabric that was intended to be a sort of background for the other fabrics. A lot of it is already cut into strips, so it's not like I can just use it for the backing. I'd love to incorporate it into the quilt, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. My first thought was just to treat it like one of the other fabrics, and combine it randomly with the others. But that wouldn't use enough of it, and it's also so much lighter than the others. So, now I'm thinking that I'll place this fabric consistently, either one per block or two per block. (I should note that I'm doing blocks of 5 strips instead of 6, because some of the strips were already cut in half, so it just fits better that way). I'd messed around with PowerPoint (my super high tech quilting design tool!) to see what overall design might look best...



Any votes? Or should I just pitch that lavender fabric and pretend it never existed??

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, that's hard I do like the examples you gave... BUT I think you should pitch that lavender fabric and pretend it never existed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you go! I can't believe you've already got all those strips cut down.

    I kind of like the look of the first one, and the bit of contrast could be nice. But I think I'm with the commenter above... an all-over jewel-tone quilt would just be too fabulous and pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both other commenters - I like it with just the jewel tone colors too. But if I had to chose a layout with the lavender, I'd either choose the first one OR put the lavender strip on the bottom of each block for a "rail fence" type quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Mishkat, either on the bottom of each (aren't you good to play around with a programme like that !) or leave it out alltogether. haven't you got enough to make just the backing in spite of having cuts some strips ? (or do both?)

    ReplyDelete