Thursday, August 26, 2010

91 and counting!

The sweatshop was a success! Quynh and Robin came over, and there was much sewing (with bonus baby snuggling!). We got a dozen pillowcases fully made, plus a bunch more in various stages of completion. I been continuing to work on them, and I'm now up to 91 completely done, and 9 more in progress! That's 100 pillowcases, soon to be off to ConnKerr Cancer!!


I'm so excited. It's such a worthy cause, and I'm loving the stash-busting. Each pillowcase is just a smidge over one yard of fabric, so that's over 100 yards of stash busted! Believe it or not, I still have a lot of fabric left. So, I'm continuing to cut out more, and plan to keep going (though at a slower pace for sure!). Here are a few of my favorites, from fabric I've blogged about...

From the coordinating prints that I picked up at the Purge Party in April...

From those coordinating bowling prints that I picked up at a stash sale a couple months ago...

From the vintage ballerina print I found last summer, and the great curtain fabric I found last fall...

And just a few from the epic cat lady estate sale. I'd say at least 2/3 of the pillowcases are from fabric I got at that sale. I'd like to think she would have approved of her kitty fabrics being used for this cause!

I realized a couple things as I was working on these. First, pillowcases are perfect for large prints that aren't easily used for quilting. It's nice to know that I can put them to good use. Second, I now have a greater appreciation for "blender" prints. It was fun to pick out prints for the borders and trims that coordinated with the main panels, but I couldn't always find a perfect match. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more fabrics like that in the future.


Lastly, this really showed me how much I dig sewing like this. I imagine most people would find it totally mind-numbing, but I find it meditative and downright addictive. I think it means I must really be a quilter at heart. :-)

11 comments:

  1. Wow!!! That's awesome!!! And I have to say, I'm with you on the meditative/addictive front. I'm really looking forward to sitting down and digging through my stash to do some pillowcase-making soon. Thanks so much for hosting a fun Friday afternoon (and for all the baby holding!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure ConnKerr Cancer will be thrilled with your huge donation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there will be some sweet dreams on these lovely pillowcases. You did a fantastic job on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - 91!! Love your fabric combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is amazing!!! congrats on doing so many

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're amazing!!! what a fun project and idea for others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is a lot of pillow cases. Looks like a wonderful project - you get to pick out and fondle wonderful fabric, and the kids get a smile on their face.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so awesome, Evelyn! All of the things you make to give away are gorgeous and I'm impressed with how you give of your time. Also, I just got your package in the mail - you are so very sweet! I love that fabric and am so happy that I have more to try a baby top again. Thank you for thinking of me and for the lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out great! I still cannot believe how many you made! You definitely need to have another one of these days (maybe for blankets next time :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I just gavce you the One Lovely Blog Award... Please visit www.13woodhouseroad.com for details...

    ReplyDelete