Thursday, August 12, 2010

winner, and an overdue finish

Congrats to lucky #11 - that's Alexandra of Right-brain Release. She said she loves all colors, so I'll have fun putting together a multicolor set for her. And she's from Albuquerque - that's where my SIL lives! Thanks everyone for entering, and for all your nice comments about the pink quilt. It went off in the mail today (that card was such a hard one to write...).

I realized recently that I never shared pictures of my finished table quilt. You should have seen me standing on a chair, holding the camera over my head, trying to get a good action shot! This was the best I could manage...



The colors are so pretty!



It ended up being almost exactly the right size, even though I should have started with at least an extra 6 or 8" in both dimensions... Because I didn't have any extra width to trim, I ended up with a really wavy edge. Lesson learned!



I *love* the back! This print (also a sheet) is definitely one of my favorites. The large scale is not so great for piecing, but it makes an awesome back. I was so excited to find a couple more of these recently, and I can't wait to use them on future projects!



I wanted to say thank you once again to Mr. Monkeysuit (now blogging at Bread and Buttons) for the inspiration. Though to be honest, I have to admit that it's in storage for the moment. I didn't really think about how a table quilt would work with a pre-schooler who still likes to swirl yogurt around with her fingers, slurp her applesauce, etc. It pained me to see how quickly it got grungy. So, I'll just tuck it away for now and try it again in a few years. Meanwhile, maybe I should make a couple dozen matching placemats instead! :-)

12 comments:

  1. So cool! Sad that it has to hide for awhile-- but, placemats do sound like an awesome alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely finish! I can understand why you want to be careful with it.

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And you're probably right to have it in storage. I made three and they are all just about ruined...which I planned on, it gives me an excuse to make some more.
    Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks so great and right away i thought about making one too...but the first thing i thought of was how dirty something like that would get with my kids!! yuck...and dirty all the time is so different than used and worn. it is so pretty...i love the back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I don't try those things, but I always admire them on other people's tables. I have 4 and 6 yr. old boys so I totally get the "it would be filthy in about 5 minutes" thing.

    Maybe you could cover her placemat in that plastic stuff old ladies use to cover their couches... LOL! I've seriously been thinking of covering my boys' chair seats with that stuff. The fabric on the seats is grungy instantly. They don't even have to sit on it. It's like some form of dark magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! I love your colors and patterns that were chosen! :o) I know what you mean about trying to get that good shot. I have been known to stand on the top of my table too!
    Have a great weekend.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's really beautiful. Great job! Too bad it has to get tucked away, but how happy you'll be when you get to take it out again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be like Christmas when you get it back out again! It turned out beautifully. I have a sheet that I just got the other day, really large print on it too- I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, it just didn't have any of the impact if I were to cut it up. Maybe I can use it for a back too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so pretty! Very nifty idea!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pink and orange fabric is amazing! Love it

    ReplyDelete