Sunday, July 19, 2009

zigzag, done and gone

I finished up the zigzag #2 last week, and decided to give it to a good friend who was getting married on Friday. She saw the first version a while back and said she loved it - I hope she was telling the truth!! :-)



This was my first time adding a label to a quilt. I tried a black fabric marker first, and it looked like crap. So, I tried a green fine line Sharpie (as suggested here by Rachel at p.s. i quilt). It looked so much better, and it washed up just fine.



A funny detail about this quilt - I didn't even realize until I was almost done stitching the binding down that I had used one wrong fabric in my scrappy binding. There's a minty green bit in there that isn't in the quilt. I'm pretty sure nobody will every notice, but I had to laugh at myself for not seeing it for so long. But now I see how quilters can make "obvious" mistakes like getting blocks upside down. When you're looking at a quilt for so long, it's easy to stop "seeing" it.

8 comments:

  1. This quilt is on my to-do list (hope you don't mind a copy cat). I LOVE it with the white in between each print. I would have never noticed the different print on the binding. You know what I do for my labels? It doesn't have the same personal touch, but I buy the fabric that you can run through a printer, and I print what I want it to say in a fun font. I worry about Sharpie's fading over time since they are no acid free. Have you ever noticed any fading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really pretty. i love the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine that anyone would NOT like this as a gift - it is beautiful! I would never notice the binding either, or else I would think it was done on purpose. And I always wondered about the upside down blocks in some antique quilts too but your explanation makes a lot of sense. I have read that the "humility block" explanation is apparently a myth.

    FYI, I used to embroider my labels but now I use a Pigma Micron Pen - they are great! I had some around for doing technical illustration (they're also very good for that). They are archival, don't bleed as much as Sharpies, and are available in several widths. I heat-set them with an iron before washing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is gorgeous! (I'm with MLE, this quilt is officially on my to-do list now!) Lucky, lucky couple to have a friend like you! And good for you for making a label!!! I had a friend tell me recently how much she appreciated the fact that I had personalized her baby's quilt with a label, and that it just made it extra special. I'm sure your friends appreciate it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute... i'm thinking about doing the zig-zag quilt along as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt is awesome!!! I love the square blocks you did with the scraps too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty! I love the mix of the vintage fabrics with the white. I've got a stash of vintage sheets and a hankering to make a zig zag quilt...perhaps this will be my next project :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt! I've got some vintage sheets tucked away. I may have to make myself a zig zag quilt :0)

    ReplyDelete