Monday, July 6, 2009

progress, but no completions

I have been super busy, but I don't have any finished projects to show. Grrrr! That's what I get for having so many things going at once.... Here's a recap of my last week:
  • I finally pieced the backs for my two Old Red Barn quilt-along quilts. I don't love (to put it mildly) that abstract purple on the right, but I had a bunch in my stash and most of the colors matched, so I used it. I'm happy that I found a project that it goes well with, and doubly happy to have it out of my stash. :-) The fabric on the left is a really colorful batik, also from the stash. The stripes in the middle are the leftover blocks, with a few strips of the purple added in to get that section to the correct width.

  • I finally finished piecing my second zigzag quilt. I cut it out at the same time as the first one, and got as far as piecing all the blocks of 4, and then the blocks sat for months. I was so happy to get the top completed!
  • I spent Thursday on my hands and knees, basting 4 quilts (3 for Project Linus, plus the second zigzag).
  • I spent Friday nursing an aching back from too much basting!
  • Over the weekend, I quilted the zigzag. This time I used straight lines instead of following the zigzags, and it went SO much faster. It's maybe not quite as cool, but I like it. And I think the pattern on the back looks nifty!



  • I also continued working on these blocks. You might recognize these fabrics from the two zigzags! Months ago, I saw this design in an older quilt magazine and thought it would be so cool with linens. I happened to have a lot of 3" strips left over from the zigzags (and gawd, just how many times can I type zigzag in one post??), which I thought would be perfect. I'll post more about this one later, including a full reference (assuming I can find that magazine somewhere in the stacks of them upstairs...).

  • Lastly, I quilted up one of the Project Linus quilts. Man, I hate that monster batting. The quilt came out okay, but not great. I didn't even want to take a picture of it. How sad is that? Maybe after I get it bound, I'll like it better. And I just have to keep telling myself - it's warm and cuddly and colorful, and that's all that matters.

8 comments:

  1. That purple looks really good with it! Really don't know what you are talking about... perfect !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! That's a lot of work! I just met a huge work deadline so haven't gotten any sewing/quilting done, and this is very inspiring!

    I really like the square in square design - technically, I guess it's a log cabin variation? - those are some of my favorite quilt patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's frustrating, to have so much progress with no actual finishes. The different quilting on the zigzag looks great!

    Liz @ teeny tiny quilts

    ReplyDelete
  4. your quilting looks beautiful...i have one that needs quilting and that might be the way i go. thanks for the idea. i love your blocks with the vintage sheets. It looks so pretty and makes something so old seem so modern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i found some more sheets this weekend! A tad more bright than my usuals!!! yea!! I don't think you can ever say zig zag enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evelyn all your quilts are so pretty!!! Glad I stopped in to thank you for your kind words on my blog..funny I just ordered that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy!! I like the back of your ORB quilt lots! Also, what a cool idea with the zigzag quilting. I love it. I really need to get a walking foot so I can do quilting like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow! You have been uber-productive! (I'm feeling jealous right now!) I love how you pieced that back... it looks great (and what an awesome use for that crazy purple)! And the quilting on zigzag#2 is very striking. Sigh... another quilt to add to my to-make list, I think. :P

    ReplyDelete