Sunday, July 12, 2009

my first quilt

I love a parade! :-) I'm joining (better late than never!) the parade of quilts over at Camille and Carrie's blogs. Here's my first "real" quilt, finished in February this year. I call it my "first hit is free" quilt, because I got all the materials for it practically for nothing, and because it totally got me hooked!



My last fully finished quilt was this one for Project Linus. I was hoping to have another quilt finished before this post, but I only got as far as finishing up the quilting, so it will have to wait a few days.



What I've learned over the last few months:
  • Use quality batting! Cheap batting is no fun to quilt with, trust me!
  • When you're starting out, do one quilt at a time for a while. That way you only make any given mistake once. :-)
  • Quilting for a charity is a great way to practice your skills without feeling like your time is wasted.
  • Blogging is fun, and crafty bloggers are wonderful, generous people!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Evelyn ~ I wish I had a "First Hit is Free" quilt! That's wonderful! I love that you've shown a charity quilt, and your lessons are perfect. The only thing worse than cheap fabric is cheap batting. It winds up being a trade of money saved for time wasted.

    Thank you for sharing your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your first quilt! It has that very cottagey feel to it that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first quilt is gorgeous! I'm really impressed that you got all the plaids lined up so well on your very first try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a huge attraction to anything plaid so of course I'm loving your first quilt.

    Great tip to work on quilt at a time in the beginning.

    It is fun to see all the completed work - thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just amazes me how far you've come in such a short time. And you are so crazy productive! It is truly inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...you are quite a quick study. Your quilts are very lovely! Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love those free quilts. fantastic first quilt too. lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you for making a quilt for Project Linus. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of your quilts are great! I love the wavy line quilting in the last one. So glad you're "hooked."

    ReplyDelete