Monday, December 28, 2009

xmas crafts

TGXIO! Thank goodness xmas is over! I'm looking forward to some non-stressful crafting, and getting a jump on NEXT year's gifts, because there were so many things I wanted to make and just didn't have time for. I'm also looking forward to seeing everyone else's "show and tells" about all the cool stuff they made, even though I'm sure it will make my project list even longer!!

Here's one project I'm so happy to cross off my list. I've been meaning to make some I-spy bags forEVER. I've been collecting little trinkets at garage sales for the last few years, and I think I even had all the other supplies last year, but I just never got around to making them. But this year was it - if I waited any longer, the kids would be too old to play with them!


This was one of those projects that didn't go very smoothly. I didn't follow a pattern, and I cut out the fabric for several bags all at once but messed up somehow and was short, hence the white strips (and what was I thinking to use white flannel for a non-washable kid's toy??). Then I sewed up the first one and realized it was way too big, so I had to trim the others, and probably would have had enough fabric if I'd only made them smaller to start with. Sigh. Anyway, I'm just glad it's done. Well, almost done. I made 3 (the wonky first one for my daughter, and two more for friends' kids), and have another one mostly done, and supplies to make 3 more. I'm planning to make up those other 3 in the next few days, before I have a chance to wimp out and let them sit for yet another year!



Here's my one other handmade gift - an apron for my grill-loving husband. I made this at the retreat in November. It's double-sided (with the yellow print on the back), with an extra layer of plain off-white cotton in the middle. I added the extra layer to make it even more sturdy, and to prevent the black from showing through on the lighter side. I'm happy to say he loved it!

8 comments:

  1. Love your gifts! I'm currently trying to get a jump start on next year as well. The key will be remembering where I put them all when I finish them.....until December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the I-Spy bags, and the apron is great! And I agree: TGXIO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative!! I am lost in a sea of ideas and in the end still not done a 'small' project but starting another quilt!

    Love the apron too. I am glad your husband liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the photos you can't tell you had any difficulties. They look like alot of fun. Nice apron too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those bags are amazing. they look fantastic and your husband looks great in his gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!! The I Spy pillow rocks!!! The boy (and just about everyone else who sees it) loves it. I still can't get over how much stuff you managed to fit in there. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete